Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Conquer Your Binge Eating Thoughts



This week has been a bit hectic for me, in terms of trying to keep up with gym and proper nutrition. Most of my days were fighting my binge urges. I gave up once. I’m glad though, because it was only once and it did not continue to a series of “binge episodes.”

What got me thinking is how did I fight my binge urges? What were the tactics that made me overcome my thoughts? 

I came across a self-help book called “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle; it basically focuses on how you should focus on the present moment and avoid thoughts of the past or future. This book greatly helped me because it made me realize that I am not my thoughts.
The primary cause of my binge urges was my thoughts about it. I was so attached to binge eating that I thought my world entirely depended on it, like I would feel better when I binge ate, or that I truly needed to binge to make up for an emotional need. It took me time to realize that giving up on binge eating is mental rather than physical. 

In the very moment that I would have the urge to binge, I would go to the kitchen but then I would stop and listen to my mind; I would listen to it complain as much as it wants but I would not act upon the thought. I let the thought pass, I do not resist. I am not my thoughts; I am the silent observer (my higher self) that is aware of my thoughts. I would imagine myself as a higher being, and my negative thoughts are “noise.” This would help me conquer my thoughts, and I would feel a sense of achievement when the thought passes.
I can’t tell you that I am completely recovered from binge eating, but I’m certainly getting better in controlling my thoughts and redirecting it to my fitness goals. First few days were the hardest; I would literally lock myself in my room until the thought passed. 42 days binge free and counting; this binge eating is starting to become history! 

How did you fight your binge urges? Please share your methods; you never know who you are inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment