Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Posture Check

It was a typical day at work when I went downstairs to grab some lunch, only to overhear several senior managers talk about their back and joint aches over lunch. I’ve noticed that a few of them had an arched back and poor postures as they sat together. So there I was, listening, and then I came up with a brilliant idea for my new blog post. To those who have office jobs or a sedentary lifestyle, you can benefit from this post immensely. Believe it or not, there’s a relationship between poor posture, back and joint problems and your muscle mobility at the gym.

Challenge: Try to maintain proper posture as you’re reading this. You should look like you’re doing a wall sit.

Having an office job makes it easy for us to fall into poor postures and hence affect us in the long run. It’s no wonder that I keep hearing 23 year olds complain about lower back ache (I complained about that for a while too). A poor posture can be defined as shortening or tightening of muscles as a result of our daily activities (such as sitting in a wrong position). Maintaining correct alignment of your body while seated and when you’re exercising is very important. My gym instructor keeps telling me that correct posture is far more important than speed, I mean, most athletes pay attention to proper posture during exercise but take a look at how you’re sitting right now, are you maintaining a proper posture?

Think about it, your body adapts to literally anything you give it, when you’re sitting in a poor posture (shoulders forward, curved spine, etc), your body adapts to this and your muscles begin tightening and in a few years you see yourself with an arched back and you start wondering what happened. Thing is, even if you work out for an hour with good posture but you maintain poor posture throughout your day.. It WILL affect how your muscles move. You’ll feel uncomfortable and won’t be able to go through the whole workout with full range of motion (trust me I know!). Basically, if you just pay attention to your posture during all times.. It will make wonders to how your body moves. 

Challenge Check-in: Did you maintain that posture? 

To sum up, working on your posture takes time, be patient and keep reminding yourself to maintain that posture.

No comments:

Post a Comment